10/21/2008

Grunt Work

Here are the stats for a 4 day scalp test I ran. Real time sim trades.

I have a confession to make, they are all counter trend trades.

Gasp.

I know I know, I may have to turn in my turtle trading fan club membership.

Gross RR 1.73
Win Rate 62%
Net Average Trade $6.73
Winners 53
Losers 32
Total Trades 85
Net Income $571.98
Average Trades Per Day 21
Days 4
Average Daily Net Income $143.00

So where do I go now? Is this good enough to risk capital?

The "exceptional Irish trader" has been poking me in the eye with a sharp stick about this counter trend thing. He wants me to try a trend scalp. So the question is can a trend scalp work, and would it work better?

There is only one way to find out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sample size is too small, not only in the number of trades but especially in the number of days. I would want a lot more data before buying the engagement ring.

Solfest said...

LOL

You are right, however I don't trust sim trading for the entire test.

I always wonder about slippage with sim vs live.

Slippage in a scalp could make or break the trade.

After some sim results I want to go live and see how it compares to sim.

So no, I won't buy the engagement ring yet.

:)

Anonymous said...

i'd love to meet this 'exceptional irish trader'.

i bet he's a charming fellow - obviously very intelligent and blessed with extreme trading virtuosity.

Solfest said...

Oh he is all that plus good looking and very humble.

Anonymous said...

Your concerns about sim vs. live trading are correct. I use IB with bracket trader. If I use my live IB account with BT on sim the fills are unrealistic. Using my IB sim account with BT live gives realistic results.